Thursday 29 January 2009

The right to decent service

My intention was to structure this blog but it seems I am just writing down my thoughts at the moment. Suppose that's what a blog is!
It's no good moaning; some people constantly moan, not concentrating on the good things in life. Most of us have cars, accomadation, food, warmth, healthcare, money etc. but we usually fixate on something, perhaps that we never even use, maybe just because it isn't as good as it was "in my day". You know the sort of thing; There's not enough policemen on the streets, all the jobs and benefits are going to immigrants, ther's no public transport, all youngsters are potentially dangerous to adults, you will get knifed if you go at at night etc. etc. It's all generalisation and headline grabbing. Good tip; don't believe anything you read in the press! Oviously these items I have mentioned may have an element of truth but it is too broad a statement. Take the police. I am sure thay do a good job on the whole. But I was stopped the other day in a "road block". They acted like the Gestapo. Why? Look at the damage to their PR. Couldn't the officer have said "Excuse me sir, hope you don't mind stopping for a few minutes and help us conduct...blah,blah". As opposed to saying "Park there!" "Is this your car?" "ID" When I asked for his ID he pointed to his number and asked why I had an attitude.
I appear to be digressing again but in fact this is all pertinent to the title: The right to decent service.
Why do we feel guilty when we cross off the 12.5% optional service charge in a restaurant? Do we think we are being mean not giving the waiter/s a small tip? Thus restaurant is possibly owned by a large quoted company, doing all it can to squeeze the extra penny out of it's customers to generate profit for the shareholders. How often do you see the name of the ultimate owners anywhere on their premises? Who owns the "Ye Olde Kings Head", purveyors of fine wines and wholesome food? I won't name names but you can have a good guess. What should you expect in these places? Of course a good meal (value for money), good service and a good experience. What else. If you are happy you will spend more money, you will go back, seems logical.
But what if you are not happy? My children would say "what can you expect these days?". Admittedly it is always difficult to complain in a restaurant because it will invariably spoil the evening. But some gentle hints on the evening might help, or a letter of dissatisfaction written the following day. Or if really bad, I feel you nust complain at the time.
Don't get me wrong, again, this blog is not about individual whingeing. It's about improving things for everyone, collectively.
Then we will change the world.
Don't think small changes do nothing. It may take time before anything appears to be happening, but trust me change will begin immediately (it's already started!) and you will be surprised at the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment